|Origin||It is native to Australia and countries in Southeast Asia, India and the tropics.|
|Description||Noni fruit grows from a cluster of flowers into a multiple fruit that looks like a lumpy, peeled potato with multiple eyes.|
|Growth Habitat||Grows well in the Pacific and tropics. Temperature range 20 - 35 C.|
|Foliage||Noni trees have large, simple, dark green, shiny and deeply veined leaves.|
|Flowers||Noni flowers are perfect, having both male and female organs within the same flower, so only one plant is necessary for harvesting.|
|Fruits||From a green colour, it goes yellow and then white with a pungent odour sometimes called a cheese fruit or vomit fruit, about 4-7 cm in size. One fruit has hundreds of seeds.|
|Harvest||A noni field can be harvested 2-3 times a month. Some producers prefer to harvest green fruits, whereas others prefer the hard white noni fruits for processing. Most noni juice processors accept or prefer the “hard white” stage of fruit development for noni juice production, because the fruits ripen quickly after that.|
|Soil||Noni trees can grow in a variety of soils from alkaline to acidic, saturated to dry, and well drained to compacted soils. Grows well in volcanic soils and salty brackish water. Avoid over-watering because this can encourage root-knot nematodes and fungal diseases.|
|Pruning||Young plants less than 3 years old may be pruned back after or during their first production of fruit. Noni trees can grow to 6meters so vertical branches can be pruned to make fruit harvest easier. Pruning can also stop pest and disease outbreaks.|
|Fertilization||Use a balanced fertilizer having an N-P-K ratio of 14-14-14 or 16-16-16. Feed young trees with a controlled-release plant food and mature trees with granular fertilizer.|
|Propagation||Noni is propagated either from seed or stem cuttings. The primary disadvantage of seed propagation is that without seed treatment, germination takes 6-12 months or more, whereas stem cuttings can be rooted in approximately 1-2 months.|
|Noni has distinct chemical constituents which are responsible for its healing characteristics.
Compounds identified in Noni fruit are just unique:
Acetic acid, asperuloside, benzoic acid, benzyl alcohol, butanoic acid (n-butyric acid), I-butanol, n-butyric acid, calcium, carotene, decanoic acid, 6-dodeceno-y -lactone 8,11,14-eicosatrienoic acid, elaidic acid, ethyl decanoate, ethyl hexanoate, ethyl octanoate, ethyl palmitate, (ethylthiomethyl) benzene, eugenol, glucose, heptanoic acid, 2-heptanone, hexadecane, hexanamide, hexanedioic acid, hexanoic acid, 1-hexanol, hexyl hexanoate, 3-hydroxy-2-butanone, iron, isobutyric acid, isocaproic acid, isovaleric acid, lauric acid, limonene, linoleic acid, magnesium, 2-methylbutanoic acid, 2-methyl-2-butenyl decanoate, 2-methyl-2-butenyl hexanoate, 3-methyl-2-buten-l-ol, 3-methyl-3-buten-l-ol, methyl decanoate, methyl elaidate, methyl hexanoate, methyl 3-methylthio-propanoate, methyl octanoate, methyl oleate, methyl palmitate, 2-methylpropanoic acid, 3-methylthiopropanoic acid, myristic acid, nonanoic acid, octanoic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, paraffin, potassium, scopoletin, sodium, terpenoids , 2,5-undecadien-l-ol, undecanoic acid, n-valeric acid, vitamin C, vomifoliol.
|Health Benefits||There are on the whole six categories of health benefits of noni fruit drink:
- Noni increases the immune system: Noni is measured as one of the main nutritious fruits. Most of its nutrients are recognized to stimulate the immune system.
- Noni arouses digestion: Noni fruit drink has occasionally been used as a laxative.
- Noni is wealthy in anti-oxidants: Investigation has shown that Noni fruit drink exhibits enhanced antioxidant activity than the extract of a grape seed and pycnogenol.
- Noni functions as an analgesic: The Noni tree is also familiar as the ‘Headache and Painkiller tree’. Noni has been found to be seventy five percent as effectual as morphine sulphate in reducing pain with no toxic side effects.
- Noni has antifungal, antibacterial as well as antiparasitic properties: With the presence of active elements like scopoletin, anthraquinones as well as terpenes, Noni is efficient against fungus and bacteria.
- Noni has the properties of anti-inflammatory: Noni fruit drink has shown similar consequences to the new properties of anti-inflammatory drugs known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Noni has revealed to be anti-cancerous or anti-tumor: Noni fruit drink consists of noni-ppt, which has revealed anti-tumor activity.
|Commercial Uses||The fruit, leaf and seed can be used. Health problems thought to receive substantial help from Noni are: AIDS; Allergies; Athlete's foot; Autoimmune system dysfunction; Broken bones; Cataracts; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Chemical sensitivity; Colitis; Comas; Colds; Constipation; Coughing; Croup; Cysts; Diaper rash; Double vision; Dry skin spots; Eczema; Energy; Fevers; Gout; Headache; Heart disease; Herniated disk; Hyperkertoses; Infections; Insomnia; Irregular heartbeat; Kidney cancer; Knee pain; Liver cancer; Macular degeneration; Migraine; Multiple Sclerosis; Muscle pain; Nervous system damage; Neurological disorder; Pre-menstrual syndrome; Prostate cancer; Psoriasis; RSDS; Sinus; Sleep; Spinal chord problems; Stroke; Sunburn; T-cell count; Tumors; Varicose veins; and yeast rash. high blood pressure, menstrual cramps, arthritis, gastric ulcers, sprains and injuries, depression, senility, poor digestion, artherosclerosis, blood vessel problems, drug addiction and general pain relief.|
|Food Suggestion||Noni Juice
- Ripe Noni fruit
1.Blend the soft ripe noni fruit at slow speed to masticate it
2.Remove seeds and strain. Or remove seeds and keep the pulp & juice.
3. Can be kept unfermented in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.